Thursday, August 13, 2009

A lesson I didn't know I needed to learn

Well it has been almost a week and a crazy time it has been. Already we have both laughed our self to tears and cried too. Everyone told me that things would be much different than I thought they were going to be. I thought I knew better and had it all down. I in fact did not. Things that I thought were going to be easy were really hard, things I thought were going to be really hard were not. I have been convicted over and over again to be a better imitator of Christ daily. I will share one of the stories with you.

I met this man at WoW (not World of Warcraft but Worship on Wednesday) who was a SIBI student from Mesa, Arizona. We were having a discussion on a Nooma video and the question was about how we could serve better. This man, I do not remember his name I wish I did, said something to the effect of "you know if I could just stop being so judgemental about others and just love them like Christ did I would be a much better at reaching people." His openness and honesty shocked me because I expected some answer that applied as a general term to others, one just like the one I had given, but that was not what he said. He set there in front of a group of people he had just met and didn't try and sound smart, holy, or rightous which is what I expected because it is what I did. That cut me to the heart because I realised what humility was and that I needed to work on it. It was being open and honest about your mistakes and faults and how they keep you from being like Christ, even with complete strangers. I saw the humility of Christ in that man.

I appreciated everyone who is praying for me and I want to thank you so much for all of the love and support that I have received. As they say AIM is a roller coaster and I just got on it.

2 comments:

  1. Chris. Excellent post. Thanks for keeping in touch. Andrea and I are going to be campaigning to spread the word around the congregation that you guys have blogs, so be sure they continue to have something to read when they come by. Even small things are fine.

    We are praying for you, and still remember you in your adventure every day.

    ~James

    ReplyDelete